PRP For Hair Loss Treatment According to the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) , the number of people seeking medical treatments for hair loss grew 13 percent from 2016 to 2019 thanks to the huge advancement that this field has witnessed in the last decades, and thanks to the multiple efficient therapies that have been developed such as the hair transplant, the Low-Laser therapy, and the Platelet- rich plasma known as the PRP injections.
This article will underscore the last-mentioned suggested treatment which is the PRP injection by answering the following questions: What is the PRP for hair loss treatment? How is it applied? Who is eligible for this procedure? Is it really efficacious? How much does it cost? Is it safe to apply? Does it have any side effects either in the short or the long term? If you need further details about this topic, this article is for you.
When we first hear the term PRP or Platelet-rich plasma, the first question that leaps to our minds is: what is this procedure?
PRP for hair loss treatment is a distinctive form of regenerative medicine or orthobiologics. It is a three-step medical process in which one’s blood ( around 30 millilitres) is drawn, centrifuged and injected in the scalp, and it is done as following:
- The first step is the phlebotomy: the doctor firstly draws around 30 millilitres of blood from the patient’s body.
- Secondly, the drawn blood will be centrifuged around 10 minutes in a centrifuge, and therefore, it will get separated into three layers which are : the red blood cells, the platelet rich plasma and the platelet poor plasma.
- In the third and last step, the doctor will inject the platelet rich plasma in the scalp area to get rid of hair loss.
Who is eligible for this procedure? And what are the conditions to get PRP for hair loss treatment done?
- If you are 18 years old at least.
- You suffer from any type of hair loss such as the androgenetic alopecia, telogen effluvium, anagen effluvium or hair thinning as well.
- You have any scar in your scalp that prevents the hair from growing naturally.
- If you have none of the following diseases such as: diabetes,chronic heart diseases, Anemia, chronic liver diseases including hepatitis A, B or C, chronic infections, cancer, chronic skin diseases, hemodynamic instability, hypofibrinogenemia, metabolic disorder, platelet dysfunction syndromes, systemic disorder, sepsis and thyroid diseases.
- If you are not pregnant or breastfeeding.
You can undergo PRP for hair loss treatment safely.
After analyzing the conditions of being a candidate for PRP injections, what are the benefits of this process? Does it effectively work to get rid of hair loss?
- is a very simple non-surgical procedure that lasts around 15 to minutes for maximum.
- is pain free and it could be done under local anesthesia.
- It does not cause any wounds or scars.
- It does not cause any unpleasant or bad reactions since the injected plasma is drawn from the patient’s own body.
- You do not need to rest after you undergo this procedure, you can go back immediately to your normal life once you finish.
- It stimulates the blood circulation in the scalp area which strengthens the hair follicles and perfectly nutrifies them with the necessary proteins and vitamins.
- It leads to the secretion of the collagen in the scalp area which makes the hair stronger and healthier.
Does PRP for hair loss treatment have any drawbacks or side effects?
This non-surgical therapy has proved to be totally safe, and it may only cause very normal and short-term side effects such as : temporary swelling in the injected areas, itching and a slight headache in the same day.
How many sessions are needed to get a good result? And is the result immediate?
Some people expect to see the result immediately after injecting the PRP for hair loss treatment, but this is not correct. Because while doing this process, the result will be noticed gradually. Depending on your situation, the doctor will decide how many sessions you need to completely stop hair shedding. But generally, everyone needs no less than 6 sessions to start noticing the difference.
As far as the price is concerned, the cost of the PRP injections differs from one country to another and from one hospital to another, but so far, Turkey has been regarded as the best country worldwide to undergo this procedure in terms of price and experience as well.
To wrap up, PRP for hair loss treatment has proved to be a highly successful non-surgical process that helps in solving various hair problems including hair loss and hair thinning. Nevertheless, if you are suffering from baldness, this procedure is not for you; you may go for hair transplant instead, because the PRP injections treat the damaged hair follicles, but, unfortunately, they do not not revive the dead ones.