Can You Prevent Baldness? As the founding father of the United States, Benjamin Franklin once mentioned; ” An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”. Hence, it is always better to take precautions than to suffer from the outcomes later. In this context, this article is going to accentuate one of the most common problems that affects millions of people worldwide due to multiple factors which is baldness by answering the following frequently asked query: Can you prevent baldness from occurring? If yes, what are the possible useful and efficacious options to prevent it?
Can You Prevent Baldness?
Medically known as the Alopecia, baldness is defined as the loss of hair in a certain area of the head like the scalp, the temples, the frontline, the crown area (the vertex). It may occur due to various reasons such as:
- Androgenetic Alopecia: male or female-pattern baldness is a primary factor of hair loss and it is hereditary. For males, it appears in the temples and the vertex, and it may cause full baldness. For females, however, the hair gets thinner all over the head and it rarely leads to full baldness.
- Childbirth and pregnancy: the majority of women experience baldness and hair loss during pregnancy or childbirth due to the hormonal disturbances and disruptions that occur quite often during this period.
- Nutritional deficiencies: if you notice that your hair is significantly shedding ,and that you are getting bald, this could be the reason. In fact, if your diet lacks the basic needed quantity of proteins, vitamins, irons…etc, your hair will consequently get damaged.
- Psychological disorders: including stress, depression, trauma…
- Medical conditions and some medicines: people who suffer from certain diseases such as blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes are more likely to witness hair shedding and baldness.
- Birth Control pills: those pills especially the ones that contain high androgen index are one of the main causes behind baldness.
- The use of chemical products: the majority of people around the world use hair products without paying attention to its ingredients and constituents that may include highly damaging and harmful chemicals such as; parabens, silicones, sulfate…, which eventually causes baldness.
After breaking down the factors that lie behind baldness, the answer for this redundantly asked query: can you prevent baldness from occurring? , is definitely yes.
You can undoubtedly prevent baldness by taking some very simple precautions on a regular basis which include:
- To prevent baldness, avoid using any hair products that contain chemicals: before buying any hair product, please do not get fooled by the fraudulent and deceitful Hair ads, and make sure that the product ( shampoo, oil, spray, conditioner, cream, gel, wax, hair dyes and colourants, serums…) do not contain any of the above mentioned chemicals like SLC, paraben and silicone.
- Make sure to follow a healthy balanced diet: what we eat on a daily basis is reflected and manifested on the strength and vitality of our hair. Therefore, you can prevent baldness by sticking to a healthy integral diet that includes all the necessities which our body needs; such as proteins( we need around 50 grams per day, and we can find it in meat and fish, eggs, dairy products, seeds، nuts, and legumes like beans and lentils), Vitamins( A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12, C, D, E, K that you can find in fish, dark leafy greens, seeds, broccoli, pork, beef, lamb, mushrooms, nuts, eggs, sweet bell peppers, avocados, peas, winter squash and fruits..) , irons as well as minerals. But make sure not to surpass or exceed the needed quantity.
- If you are taking any birth control pills, you can prevent baldness by asking your doctor for birth control pills that contain a low level of androgen or non-hormonal ones.
But the question that arises is: can you prevent baldness if the main factor that lies behind it is genetic and hereditary? If you find out that your parents or grandparents had suffered from hair loss, and you are likely to witness the same issue in the future, we unfortunately inform you that you can not do anything about it. However, if your hair starts shedding, you can prevent baldness from completely affecting the whole hair through different options:such as; Platelet- rich plasma, low-level laser therapy, or hair transplant. So, even when baldness occurs, you still have various tools of prevention from the total and complete baldness.
To wrap up, baldness is a very common and familiar issue that affects no less than 80% of men and around 60% of women around the world. But if you are cautious enough and you take the necessary precautions, you can prevent baldness from occurring.And even if you notice that your hair is falling already, you can still prevent total baldness. A stitch in time saves nine men.